Friday, August 31, 2007

Some sublime relationships and moments

Last time I was travellin by car I was wondering about all the dances I have learnt and how each of them represents a world within them. Its like its taken forever to cultivate a unique, personal relationship with each dance. Each dance is like a person, my acquaintance with whom has grown over the years. They are all super-exciting to discover in the beginning, but some have truly become seasoned friends. Others, just need more time and effort to truly get one with. But all in all, they are all sensational friends, always there to free the body, mind and soul of all limitations of time and space. Like I tell my friends, that everything in life is wonderful, but moments linked to dance are divine, what one calls in hindi 'aalokik', simply sublime, of another world. Some powerful experiences while performing or even watching dance, stay with one a lifetime, and some seem like a lifetime within a moment.

These precious moments remind me of a couplet from Farida Khanum's famous ghazal 'Aaj jaane ki zid na karo':
"Waqt ki qaid mein zindagi hai magar,
chand ghadiyan yahi hai jo aazaad hai,
inko kho kar meri jaaneja,
umra bhar na taraste rahon..."

No comments: